Sunday 1 June 2008

How old am I?

You might think that's a simple question. But it appears not. My 23rd birthday is at the end of this week, but am I really 23?

A week or so ago I was told that I was currently too young for the career I was looking at. I was fed up of being looked down on as "young" and not being given the chance to try to do new things because of my age. But then my church home group (mostly in their 40's and 50's) were trying to work out how old I was, and estimates ranged from 26 to 30! Then, in another group of friends, it was assumed that I was the oldest, despite one person there being two years older than me! The fact that I always seem to be the "mother" figure, handing out suncream, handwipes and generally organising people (even though I have no authority to do so, or even any plan beyond making it up as I go along) must be having some effect on people's minds!

So, people who know me seem to assume that I'm older than I actually am. Whereas people who don't know me particularly well judge from appearances (I can't help being small or looking young, and don't particularly want to change that!) and from my chronological age. A personality test I did when I was 16 suggested that my results were more typical of a 35 year old. But how can I get the fact that I'm (seemingly) more mature than my chronological age would suggest across to people? For example in interviews, when sounding like someone with experience rather than a naive graduate is certainly beneficial?

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!

Paul, in his first letter to Timothy tells him, "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." Although I can't claim to be a shining example of any of those things, I wish more people would pay more attention to Paul's words to a young and timid church leader in need of encouragement. How can anyone to gain experience without someone taking a risk and letting them have a go, make mistakes and learn from them? Without new people coming in, any organisation runs the risk of stagnating and, in a world where not to move forwards is to move backwards, that's a dangerous road. If Paul trusted the young, why can't people today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.