Friday 9 April 2010

Appraisal time

It's that time of year again- appraisals month at work.  Everyone gets given a sheet of questions to think about and answer, then you have an interview with someone more senior and discuss it and any concerns they have with you.  I know I shouldn't complain too much, I think it's a healthy thing to do, but at the same time it can be difficult and awkward.  I struggle to work out how to answer the questions without offending anyone, or making it sound like I'm lazy (or that I'm too keen) without actually lying.  Then they try and set targets.  Do you know how hard it is to set an identifiable target for a receptionist without getting really petty? 

To cheer me up, here are some of the pre-appraisal questions, and what I might like to answer...


Which part of the job interests you most?
Umm...payday?  The internet?

Which part interests you least?
The actual work (when there is any).
Or possibly answering these questionnaires.

How do you feel you have performed in the last year?
Well, a hundred or so blog posts, a 60,000+ word story (and some other writings), a lot of minutes and business connected with running a G&S society  isn't bad for a year's work, I guess.  Oh, you mean actual office activities.  Umm...ok I guess.

Which areas of your job are you unclear about?
Why you continually don't give me anything else to do, even when I've asked.  Surely there must be something?  Or are you really happy just to pay me to sit here and twiddle my thumbs?

Do you posess skills, knowlegdge or experience acquired elsewhere of which we do not make full use?
Yes.  Do you really want a list?  I have a degree, for starters.  I can type with more than two fingers, and know how to use email.  I know how to clean a bathroom, which is more than the current cleaner does...Could I sing to entertain clients in the waiting room?  Or give minature lectures on European History?

Does your job description properly describe your duties and responsibilities?
Well, yes.  We only revieved it six months ago.  But put together they take up less than a quarter of the time I'm at work for.

Do you feel that you could take on other responsibilities?
What's the point in asking me this?  I said yes the last two times I did this form, and you haven't given me any.  I'd like a chance to learn some new skills or develop the ones I have so I stand some chance of getting another job.  As it is, I can't even get one on the same level as this.

Where would you like to be in one year and five years' time?
Reallistically, in a job where I earn enough not to have to worry every month about whether there will be enough to pay the household bills, and where I can do something vaugely interesting or at least useful to someone.
Ideally, not having to go to an office every day but being able to do the things I like...reading, writing, church stuff... I wonder if there's any way I can get paid for doing those things...
But at the moment, I'd settle for still having a job.

Targets for the next six months:
Finish writing Misplaced.
Apply for other jobs.
Attempt not to get depressed about lack of progress with life or with the failure to be taken seriously by people; and attempt not to get upset at being continually forgotten and not considered for things I know I can do.

Now I suppose I should get on with writing my real answers to the questions...

1 comment:

  1. Do your colleagues know you have a blog? You could suddenly end up with extra responsibilities for cleaning the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.