Monday 8 June 2009

Protesting against democracy?

Oh dear. The BNP have gained two seats in the European parliament, one in the North West and one in my own region, Yorks and Humber. It's not good- even UKIP are beginning to seem like moderates in comparison. Which in turn isn't good as it gets them more votes.

The historian in me isn't happy with the way they use 'British' in their title- I'm British, but my ideas of nationality are a long way from theirs. What is Britain, anyway? It's shape and people have changed over the years. What's so special about Britain? The historian in me isn't happy with the sickening claims of their leader denying the Holocaust. The historian in me isn't happy with their obvious lack of any knowledge of British history- we're a nation made up of immigrants, for goodness' sake! Why should people of Angle or Saxon or Scandinavian or Norman French (and the Normans were of Viking descent) immigrant descent have more rights than those of African, African-American, Indian, Pakistani, Chinese or other descent?

They say they don't hate people of other ethnicities, but by encouraging them to leave the country they are in effect saying that they are inferior to the ethnically British-if there is such a thing? What about the Scots, the Welsh, the Irish? And these countries are made up of different people groups too. Where do you draw the line? Do you force all people of Scottish descent to leave England, including the Prime Minister, presumably? Do you force Prince Philip to move to Greece, and the Queen to Germany?

I think I've made it clear that I disagree utterly with the BNP and deplore both their attitudes and the fact that they've won. But one of the many things that worries me about the BNP's victory is the reaction of some people who oppose them. Some of the tactics being used, advocated or suggested dismay me, and would/ will only inflame (quite possibly literally) the situation while loosing the moral high ground.

For example, party leader Nick Griffin's car was attacked as he tried- quite legitimately- to enter the building where the count was being held. Much as I dislike the BNP, they took part in this election legitimately. Violence against them will solve nothing and help no one. As soon as one side uses it, the other side can say they were defending themselves, and the whole situation will lead to escalation and violence. The BNP already use language calculated to encourage unrest and discord in the community. Playing them at their own game here only makes matters worse.

Not that all those campaigning against the BNP are encouraging or carrying out these sort of activities. I know it's only a small minority. But the danger is that in the eyes of the media- and of BNP members- they are all tarred with the same brush.

But the real problem I have is with the idea of campaigning against the BNP. Ok, campaign against their policies and the stupid things they say. But you can't campaign against them doing well in the elections. Little as I like it, the elections were free and fair. The electoral system might not be perfect but compared to many countries we can't complain that much. They've won, fair and square. We can complain but we can't say they haven't earned their seats or shouldn't take them up.

This puts me in something of a dilemma. On the one hand, I don't want to take the BNP's victory lying down, but on the other- it is legal. Protesting against an election result because it's not the one you would have liked is, from what I can judge, wrong. It defeats the point of democracy- that the country is run by the majority, not just those with a certain point of view. It's the first step on a scale that too easily ends with Robert Mugabe's refusal to accept that his country wants him out of power.

So I think we have to be careful about negative campaigning. Muck slinging between political parties and politicians attacking each other is one thing that contributes to turning people off politics- and contributes to the very problem under discussion. The BNP's share of the vote hasn't increased. What's happened is that fewer people have voted for the other parties, fewer people have voted overall; so that parties with a smaller number of votes have been able to gain seats. So surely the best way to stop this happening again- or to stop the BNP winning seats at Westminster, where they could do far more harm- is to encourage people to engage with political issues and to get out there and vote!

I have to admit I find it hard to understand the mindset of people who aren't interested in voting. Would you, as an adult, accept someone else deciding for you what to eat, what to do, where to go, because you didn't want to play any part in deciding yourself? I doubt it. Yet in a way that's what happens.

As a woman I'm always very aware that I shouldn't take the right to vote for granted. It's still less than a century since women gained the vote at all, let alone on equal terms with men. So I value my vote, my say in what happens in the country. Ideally that shouldn't be all our involvement in politics- I think we should at least try to have some understanding of the issues of the day so we can decide whether the people we have elected to run things for us are doing a good job- but voting- and not just in UK parliamentary elections, but European and local ones too- is at least a good start.

So I don't think we should spend time campaigning negatively against the BNP. If we treat them democratically I think they'll soon show their true colours and it will be obvious why they're not fit to govern. Instead we ought to be encouraging people of all ages, creeds, races to take an interest in politics and to get out and vote. Yes our politicians are a mess- but simply ignoring them and our constitutional duty isn't going to help anyone. Except the BNP.

1 comment:

  1. They've already shown their true colours very clearly, though. It's not hard to find hateful and inflammatory quotes by Nick Griffin, the convicted criminal who is now one of the 8 north western MEPs who represent me - the piece of holocaust denial in my status today, for instance. Astoundingly, his party actually lost this time, but in the NW, the number of people who didn't vote was more than double the number who did.

    I don't see the problem in protesting the fact that they won seats, though. What separates democracy from mob rule is that we have oppositions, we allow dissenting voices and we don't have to put up or shut up. We can say we don't like people in power, we can give reasons why and others can listen to us and change their behaviour and their vote. If democracy were just about voting and then waiting five years for another chance to have any influence, we'd never write to our MPs, never have any protests and generally behave like lapdogs. Democracy is about telling our leaders what we think of them, holding them to account and getting rid of them when we don't like them, while working ourselves to change things for the better through campaigning, lobbying and direct action.

    I must admit, I was at a bit of a loss to decide who to vote for this time round, I was so disgusted with politicians' behaviour. The Tories are about to get power in Westminster anyway, and Labour make me shudder both with their infighting and with their behaviour over the Lisbon treaty. In the end I voted Green, who came 5,000 votes behind the BNP in the NW. What a pity.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.