Thursday 10 December 2009

Advent 09- Family

We are, of course, getting close to Christmas.  Traditionally this is the time when families get together to celebrate.  This can make it a difficult time, when tempers fray and patience is stretched.  But families, however hard we may find them to deal with sometimes, can be great things.  They can support and help us, emotionally, financially, spiritually.

I'm using family in a loose sense here.  If you look at some of my previous posts you'll see why I think family is something which is nearly impossible to define.  My family is by no means a simple example of the nuclear family- half siblings abound, and whenever I try explaining to someone that I was a great aunt from the age of four the room tends to go silent while everyone works out how that's possible.  I have four half-siblings, but grew up as an only child because they were so much older.  I have (currently) six nieces and three nephews, four great nephews and one great niece, yet only one of all these has ever called me aunt, and that was on facebook!

Now I live away from my parents, housemates and friends tend to take on some of the roles of family members.  I know I sometimes find myself taking on the motherly role in my house.  I enjoy the freedom of not having to consider the needs and wishes of my parents whenever I want to do something (not that I ignore those of my housemates, I hope!) but sometimes it's nice to know that there is someone around who is connected to you by more than friendship, someone who won't loose touch with you when you move away.

I'm aware that I owe a lot to my family for all they have done for me.  My life would have been very different, I wouldn't have learnt the things I have or had the experiences that have made me who I am.  I am especially glad that through them I was able to find out about Jesus.  Relationships with parents aren't always easy, and this is certainly true for me.  But I am incredibly grateful for them, even if I don't always show it.  So I want to give thanks for parents and for family, for they are a Good Thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.