Tuesday 15 December 2009

Advent 09- Harriers

I wrote a few days ago about Scripture Union, and how I'm thankful for what I've learnt from different parts of the organisation.  Probably the SU-related activity that had the biggest impact on me was Harriers.  Harriers is one of many activity holidays run by volunteers under the supervision of SU throughout the year, which mix activities with Bible teaching and discussion groups.  


Harriers is a sailing holiday for 14's-18's,* run on the Norfolk Broads in cabin yachts, some of which are over 70 years old and don't have engines, let alone fridges or electric light.  I was 15 when I first went, and although like any week when you're a teenager there are ups and downs, I had a fantastic time and really enjoyed it.  I'd never done any sailing but growing up reading about the adventures of the Swallows and Amazons and similar books I'd always wanted to learn, so it was almost the perfect holiday (now, if it could have included G&S as well...!).  


For a young Christian who wasn't used to having people of my own age who I could talk to about my faith, it was wonderful to be in an environment where I could do that, could share experiences and listen to other people's, where I could make friends who shared my faith and understood the problems Christian young people faced at school, at home, or elsewhere.  And I could learn about and discuss the things that that were never talked about in my church, because the people there weren't interested or because they simply weren't relevant for the elderly congregation.  It helped me see that Christianity isn't something old and dying and hopeless, but young and vibrant and full of life and love and the Holy Spirit.  It transformed my understanding of my faith, and helped me grow and learn far more than I would have without it.


Unsurprisingly, I went back the next year.  And the next, and the next.  After that, I went as a mate, a junior leader, for three years.  I enjoyed it too much to want to leave, and I wanted to help other young people get as much out of it as I had done.  It's several years now since I stopped going (not because I'd stopped enjoying it, but because there were other people who wanted to do what I'd done, and I wasn't an experienced enough sailor to move into senior leadership, not to mention having less holiday once I moved into the world of work beyond uni) but I still try to pray for those who are involved, and am grateful for those who gave up their time to make it possible for me.  I hope that when I was a leader I helped other young people enjoy the week as much as I did.  Definitely a Good Thing.




*Harriers A is for 14's-16's, Harriers B 16's-18's.  Ish.  There's also Kestrels A and B, which are much the same, but run at Easter when it's colder.  I only did Kestrels once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.