Friday 18 December 2009

Advent 09- Snow!

It's cold outside, and very snowy!  I just walked to work through an inch or so of snow in some places.  As well as the brightness as light is reflected by the whiteness, the main thing I noticed was how quiet it was.  The snow seemed to deaden the sound from traffic on Bishopthorpe Road as I was walking up a backstreet nearby.

The effect of snow on this country is very interesting.  As demonstrated last year, as soon as there's a tiny bit of the white stuff large parts of the country (mainly the south!) shuts down.  Of course snow is a problem for businesses, and  for people who have to travel, but you wonder why Britain is unable to cope with a few inches of snow when some countries take feet in their stride.

I remember some comments last year that it also has a positive effect on people- people relaxing, reliving their childhood, families spending time together.  There's definitely a widely acknowledged sense that snow is somehow special.  As I walked to work there were children playing on sledges and throwing snow at each other.  I've not seen any snowmen yet, but I suppose it's quite early.  And the snow is very powdery, and not sticking together very well.  (I tried snowballing my housemate last night and failed!)  The child in me is hoping it hasn't all melted by tomorrow- last year I missed all the snow fun by being at work.

It makes me wonder how something so simple as frozen water- hydrogen and oxygen atoms- can have such an effect on the country.  And indeed how it could be so beautiful.  I have the same feeling when I see a rainbow.  I know it's just light refracted by water droplets, but how?  Why in that shape?  It's pretty amazing, you've got to admit.  The story of Noah talks about the rainbow being a reminder of God's promises to humans- in that case that he wouldn't again wipe out the entire population of earth, but I like to think of it rather as a sign of his love for humans and promise to redeem us.

Snow is another natural miracle to me, and although like the rainbow it has natural causes, I still think it is part of God's hand in creation, working through what he himself made; parts of creation designed to surprise us, to make us stop and wonder at what a wonderful planet we live on.  Snow's not always a Good Thing, but the reaction of wonder and respect for the world it can produce certainly is.

"Who has told every lightening-bolt where it should go?
Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow?
Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light,
Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night?"*

It's snowing again now.

*'Indescribable' by Laura Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.