Thursday 17 December 2009

Advent 09- Housemates

I was at a very good concert last night performed by this choir.  Over the last few years many of my friends have been part of this choir, so I've been to hear them many times.

The previous few evenings had been rather different, encompassing juggling, cushion violence and random conversations.  Very, very random!  One thing they all had in common was late nights.

But what do these different ways of spending an evening had in common?

They all involve my housemates.  And they are certainly a Good Thing.

One thing you quickly learn when you move away from home is the importance of the people you live with.  It's often been said that 'friends are the family you choose for yourself' and this is certainly true with housemates.  Whether it's making sure there's enough milk in the fridge or fetching medicines for someone when they're ill, housemates can make your life a misery or a joy.  If you get on well with your housemates they can start taking the place of family, providing emotional and practical support for each other.  You often find that that someone (or more than one) will start to take on almost parental roles.  I'm a mum.  I know I am.

I've been pretty fortunate with my housemates over the years.  There have certainly been one or two oddities, but on the whole we've got on pretty well.  Some have become very close friends- I lived with one person for five years, if you include first year halls.  Some years I've worried about whether I'd be able to find anyone to live with, or whether people would be able to commit to deciding where they would live in time, but every year so far it's worked out, and I'm sure it will in the future.  I believe that's an answer to prayer, especially when I see some of the stresses other people have had.

And my current housemates are lovely people, and we get on very well, and I'm very thankful to them.  They might be surprised to hear it, but they are both answers to prayer.  I was more worried about housing this year than any previous one, but it turned out all right in the end.  I should probably learn to be more trusting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.